[PAST] Report Back Third Social Forum of the Americas
REPORT BACK FROM THE THIRD SOCIAL FORUM OF THE AMERICAS
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 14 - 7:00 PM -- AT ENCUENTRO5, 33 HARRISON AVENUE, BOSTON
(ALSO THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 20 - 6PM-8PM, CLARK UNIVERSITY, 905 MAIN ST., WORCESTER - SACKLER 122)
The Third Social Forum of the Americas took place in Guatemala City, from October 7 to October 12. Three local activists participated in the Forum and will present us with a report of the proceedings, the trends, the ideas, the challenges and the plans for social change that emerged from the Forum. The participants are Gabriel Camacho, American Friends Service Committee Project Voice, Saulo Araujo, Grassroots International and Sergio Reyes, Boston May Day Coalition.
The main themes of the Forum were:
1. Scope and Challenges of the Changes in the Hemisphere: Post-Neoliberalism, Socialism(s), Civilizational Changes
2. Peoples in Resistance to Neoliberalism and Imperial Domination.
3. Food sovereignty, land and water rights of communities in the face of predatory capitalism
4. Diversities and Equality: challenges for achieving them
5. The ideological dispute: communication, culture, knowledge and education.
6. Original, Indigenous and Afro-descendant Peoples and Nationalities: "Good living" and its keys for the future
Nearly 3000 delegates from the Americas participated in the event, with a heavy Mayan indigenous presence. In these days of capitalist crisis the alternatives presented by community and indigenous organizations from Latin America, North America and the Caribbean should be taken seriously. This is then a significant preamble to the 9th World Social Forum that will take place next year, January 27 to February 2, in Belem, Brazil.
The event is free and open to the public. Donations are graciously accepted. More information at www.bostonmayday.org
# # #